Guyana Congregational Union
The Guyana Congregational Union (GCU) traces in beginnings date back to 1808 when John Wray, from the London Missionary Society (LMS), arrived in the South American country of Guyana, which was then ruled by the Dutch. He and his successors experienced strong opposition in church planting. The congregation, however, spread quickly after the abolition of slavery in 1834. The British Congregational Union of Guyana was formed in 1883.
When the LMS withdrew its support, it almost ceased to exist. However, in 1908 the Colonial Missionary Society gave its support instead. In 1942 the Union started mission work among the Amerindians living in the interior. After 1942 the Union undertook a joint ministry with other denominations among bauxite miners.
Today, the GCU receives ministerial and financial support by the Council for World Mission – Caribbean and plays active roles in CANAAC and CANACOM.
36 Third and Light Streets,
Guyana (South America)
Telephone: +592 227 0758
Fax: +592 227 0758